Saturday, January 16, 2016

Sinulog, camera, and cocks

It's the time of the big festival here in Cebu called sinulog. It's a festival to Santo Nino , the baby Jesus. It draws a couple million vis

Are you sure we aren't lost

itors every year. Yesterday we were part of the procession. We walked a couple of miles by talking a few steps then stopping while waiting for the people ahead to start walking. Nothing like a walk with a few hundred thousand of your closest friends. It was a different experience that I'll never forget.
 I wish I had my camera ready at a moments notice but having electronics out like that is just asking for someone to borrow it. Things that I've seen but couldn't get camera out in time: a guy carrying a goat while driving a motorcycle, 4 adults on a motorcycle at one time (these are small 100 to 125 cc motors), a guy sticking a stick in his jeepney gas tank to check for gas, more guys peeing in public then I care to think about, two year old standing on the gas tank and holding on the handle bars while dad drives, ten and eleven years old kids selling cigarettes.
The women here are jealous of their husbands cock. I don't mean Mr happy but the male chicken. Cock fighting is very big and can make the owner big money. I've seen them hold the chicken like it was a baby. Grooming it and talking to it. Yes people cock envy is alive in the Philippines.

No comments:

Post a Comment