Saturday, January 2, 2016

New year's eve

I spent new year's eve with April at her family. We went to her aunts and uncles home in Talisay. It is customary to bring a gift for the hostess so we bought some wine and a cake. Talisay may look very close on the map but it takes two hours to go the short distance.   It's about 7 miles but since I don't have transportation of my ownroad made it a religious experience.
two hours for the seven miles.
Cebu is known for there lechon. It's a whole roasted pig. You can buy smaller amounts instead of the whole pig. It's not bad at all but I could use some of masterpiece BBQ sauce. When I go and see April's relatives they want to stuff me with food. Now I know I'm not wasting away but if you have ever been to a feedlot that thought comes to mind.
What would good food be without drinking. I had some beer and wine but not to much. Family get togethers consist of food and drinking. People were very nice to me.  They spoke mainly visayan so I didn't understand most of what they were saying. Sometimes they would talk to me in English or April would interpret.
Fireworks are a very big part of the celebration. The next door neighbor rolled out a string of firecrackers 150 feet long then lit it. It seemed like it took forever for it to finish.I have a crappy photo of it, sorry about the quality. The place turned into a war zone at midnight. April was excited to see fireworks since the city she is from doesn't allow them. Only problem was she would run away and scream when they started. So I don't get into trouble lets just change April's name to Megan. About 1:45 it was time to go home. One of April's cousins took us down to the main road to pickup a taxi. The taxi ride only took 30 minutes and was what you would call a tent revival because you thought you were going to see Jesus. Driving at speeds of up to 55 mph and dodging drunk people walking in the middle of the road

No comments:

Post a Comment